Maximizing Functional Living Spaces and Sourcing Sustainable Materials a Priority
TORONTO, ON and NEW YORK, NY–(Marketwired – September 22, 2014) – As designers turn to self-renewing materials that are both stylish and environmentally friendly, and 2015 décor trends favor functionality, the Portuguese Cork Association (APCOR) approached celebrity designer Vern Yip to offer practical design and décor tips with a look towards the new year.
Atop Yip’s list of 2015 décor trends are eco-friendly materials with a fashion-forward appeal, as well as turning to design and décor to maximize living spaces.
“The variety of stylish product choices available to today’s environmentally-conscious consumers is remarkable,” says Yip. He points to the many color choices of no-VOC paint, new agave plant and sisal fiber area rugs, as well as advances in cork flooring finishes as great examples of the intersection between style, functionality and environmental responsibility.
Yip offers these practical tips to achieve a stylish and functional space in 2015:
- View the floor as an extension of the living space. Opt for materials that are both stylish and comfortable such as cork flooring. Warm, soft on the feet and eco-friendly, cork’s natural ability to insulate against heat, cold, noise and vibration make it an ideal choice for “on-the-floor living”.
- For open concept homes, mix and match old with new, high with low or light with dark. Using timeless and resilient materials, or those that can be used and reused, allows homeowners to be eclectic and bold.
- Geometrical and angular designs are making a comeback so think of zigzag, herringbone or chevron patterns to bring mid century flair back into your home.
- Living outdoors is a great way of maximizing living space. Make it cozy with pillow, tiki lights or a bonfire pit. In cold temperatures, use heat lamps positioned around the boarder of the patio.
- Look at the floor, which is a home’s largest surface area, as a canvas. It offers ample opportunities to add visual interest and achieve a unique look. Think about combining textures and/or colors. Create a pattern of alternating colors and/or grain.
- Break away from a sea of neutrals by replacing old pillow covers, throws and/or lampshades to reflect the hues and tones of the season. Or, create an accent wall with a printed wallpaper or painted design. Do keep your larger items white or neutral, so that you can easily mix and match seasonal colors with permanent pieces.
Yip, who has just completed a makeover of his New York City apartment, points to his choice of patterns, colors, materials and design as an example that ecologically responsible and functional choices can result in inspired designs.
About the Portuguese Cork Association
The Portuguese Cork Association (APCOR) is the only national trade association representing the cork processing industry. It was founded in 1956, in the north of Portugal, in Santa Maria de Lamas, at the heart of the cork industry.
APCOR currently has over 270 member companies which together account for 80 per cent of the national cork production and 85 per cent of cork exports.
The objectives of APCOR are to promote and provide value to cork and its products, as well as represent and support the industry in various fields.