December 18, 2014
Kerrie Kelly, a design expert at Zillow Digs, predicts a “dramatic shift.” Zillow’s top four design trends — also known as four things we’ll make fun of in 20 years:
- Gold Fixtures. Retro no more, bright gold will elbow out silver and stainless steel fixtures.
- Cowhide. “Modern yet approachable,” Zillow says. Look for cowhide pillows, rugs, throw blankets, and artwork.
- Wallpaper. Digital prints and textured wall coverings will be hot this year, designers consulted by Zillow say.
- Blue Accent Colors. Blue — indigo, deep navy — will be the most popular accent color.
Meanwhile, these four trends are on the way out, Zillow says:
- Chevron prints. Zigzag patterns? “Overused,” Zillow says.
- Bright colors. Coral, purple and teal? As hip as Bill Cosby’s sweaters.
- Solid painted accent walls. So 2014 as wallpaper and textured wall coverings take the stage in 2015.
- Matching furniture. “Polished, matching wood furniture is a thing of the past,” Zillow says.